YPI Volunteer Residents
The Young Physicians Initiative is a program aimed at inspiring students interested in medicine and showing them what it’s like to think like a doctor. We bring medical cases and interactive sessions to undergraduate schools twice a month for one hour to foster a fun engaging environment where students can learn more about a career in medicine and directly ask any questions they may have about medical school and beyond.
Medical Residents can play an important role in YPI by sharing their first hand experiences with the students and taking them through real patient cases.
The outline of the session will generally be:
- Resident introduction (15 min)
- Patient case (45 min)
- Informal Q&A if you have a few minutes to stay afterwards
Resident introduction (15 mins)
We would also like residents to tell students about their background, career interests, and answer these questions in the beginning of the session:
- Tell us about where you’re from, where you went to school, whether you had any experiences/gap years in between.
- Why did you choose to go into medicine and what keeps you motivated to pursue your career in medicine?
- What field of medicine do you plan on going into and why did you choose it?
- What is one thing about being a doctor that you didn’t expect going into it?
Patient case (45 mins)
We would like residents to think of interesting patient cases they have had in the past and choose one to present to the undergraduate students in the following structure:
- Chief complaint
- HPI: Allow students to ask history questions while resident role plays the answers
- Physical exam findings
- Imaging or EKG if available (project on the board)
- Allow students to create their own differential and come to a diagnosis
- Cases should include no patient information or any identification.
- YPI meets twice a month during the academic semesters (fall and spring only)
- Resident and medical students will alternate presenting medical cases during the semester
- We will have time slot options for residents to present a case during each month
- Please sign up for the date for selected semester on google doc
- There will always be one medical student to assist the resident.
- Sessions are held at various universities and you can sign up according to your availability.
- Feel free to attend any other YPI sessions if you’d like to see how it runs!
Link to sign up will be sent to the group, once you complete the Volunteer Physician application.